Monday, June 10, 2013

More X thoughts

I'm now up to Uncanny X-men 272 - the X-tinction agenda.

I am confused about Jubilee's powers - does she just produce light or does she produce explosions as well?  If so, what is she exploding?  Does she create something combustible?

Thinking more on the art, although the adults tend to have the same body type, either muscular male or leggy slim women, the anatomy is largely correct.  The women aren't (usually) put in sexual poses, there aren't any escher girls.  The poses and actions are on the whole, feasible.  I guess you could say that the women's legs are too long and the men's muscles aren't 100% accurate, but I don't have a problem with that, because that's the artist's style.

I was under the impression that Wolverine was meant to be attractive, rather then a short hairy animal.  I guess that's what Hugh Jackman and Hollywood does for me.

I'm enjoying the letters pages.  In the back of 270 there is a suggestion from a Londoner about who should be cast in an X-men film.  She suggests Arnold Schwarzenegger as Colossus, Grace Jones as Storm, Madonna as Dazzler, Dennis Quaid as Havok and Julia Roberts as Storm.  The editor suggests Clint Eastwood as Wolverine.  Bearing in mind that this was in 1990, what do you guys reckon to these suggestions?  I think they are pretty good.

3 comments:

James Ashelford said...

I think Jubilee's powers are meant to be emitting heat and light, at least as I understood it when the writers started describing them as "fireworks". There might be something physical about them because they seem to impart force on the people they hit but that could just be reaction to the heat.

SallyP said...

I'm pretty sure that she can make things blow up...or not, as she choses.

Wolverine's attractiveness rather depends upon the artist, but yeah, he's short and hairy, but has an enchanting musk.

Saranga said...

OK.