Friday, June 21, 2013

Midsummer Solstice!

It's the longest day of the year, hooray!

Today is variously known as the time of ripening, the golden season, Coamhain or Litha  It's a good time for divination and building bonfires to cleanse your home.  Sunflowers, St John's Wort, Marigold, Fennel, Honeysuckle and the Oak are the plants of the season.  As I look in my garden I see that the Hawthorn only just stopped flowering a week or so ago and the Oak is yet to come into flower.  Everything is so late this year.  British strawberries have only just come into season an they should have been out at Beltaine.

There is the idea that the 8 festivals mark out the life of the God - born at Yule, nursed at Imbolc, grows to adulthood at Ostara, marries the Goddess at Beltaine, fertilises the earth at Midsummer, is honoured as High King at Lughnasa, sacrifices himself for the people at Harvest and dies at Halloween.  Throughout this all the Goddess is present as and in the earth.  Neither will survive without the other.

Yesterday I baked gingerbread biscuits and this weekend I will decorate them with sun emblems.  I intended to get up this morning and do half an hour's worth of sun salutations.  That didn't happen as I slept in late.  I set up my altar decorations last night and this morning went into the garden and picked some flowers for it:
I chose honeysuckle and broom flowers, because they are in flower, and a clematis petal which had fallen off the plant.  We have a few other plants in flower but none that I felt right in picking.  We need to plant sunflowers.

I am having great difficulty in setting up decorations in this house.  I want them in the conservatory for the light but the only surface is rather small and cramped, and as you can see from the picture, rather full of other stuff.  I don't feel like there is room to put out candles or incense and there is also no room to pull up a chair alongside it.  I had lovely ideas of using it for a meditation space but don't seem to have managed that either.

One day I will feel comfortable with it, but for now, I'll just bumble along!

I will try and pick up some sunflower seeds and fruit to snack upon, and this evening I'm going to the pub to meet some friends.  It's not my traditional way of celebrating but I think it will be fun!

Have a wonderful day everybody!

No comments: