Monday, May 20, 2013

Comic reviews from Free Comic Book Day, and probably before..

I am soooo behind.

Right, Free Comic Book Day.  I ended up going to 2 shops, one in Norwich, and Orbital in London as I was visiting the big smoke for the day to see a Deafinitely Theatre showcase.  The Theatre was amazing and all I can say is, you hearing folks are missing out.  I don't think think I have ever seen theatre this imaginative or this good.

Anyway comics.  I tend to pick up everything I can.  I got a hardcopy of Off Life which if you like indie street comics is well worth a look.  It's available online as well.
The Walking Dead completely failed to impress me.  I have no idea why this is so popular.
Superman: The Last Son of Krypton was a surprise, as it's a reprint of the first chapter from this trade, but the cover is of new 52 knickerless Supes.  What a bizarre marketing decision.
Action Labs' Molly Danger/Princeless was great fun but I am not convinced I want to buy Molly Danger.  Perhaps if I had a 10 yr old niece or nephew I'd get it for them, but it's not for me.
The Mouseguard sampler was wonderful and I am determined to put it on my pull list.  Every year I get the free copy and every year I enjoy it, yet never get round to ordering it.  For shame on me.

I also got Sesame Street/Strawberry Shortcake, Infinity and Uglydoll Comics.  I just can't work up the enthusiasm to read these.

In other non Free Comic Book Day purchases, I got:
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 22 - AHHH MILES' MUM DIED!!  *sobs*  This comic is SO GOOD.
Animal Man 20 - this issue was a film plot that Buddy is starring in, about a superhero with family issues.  It echos Buddy's life.  It was unexpected.
Demon Knights 19 - Obviously I really enjoy this series so obviously it's not selling well and is being cancelled.  Damn it. I know DC are out to make money, but really, can't they also make sure they publish quality books too?  This issue has vampires and amazons.  What's not to love?
The Movement 1 - I thought I enjoyed this, then I finished it and thought about the indies I wanted to buy and realised I had no interest in this at all.  The art is nice though.
Princeless book 2; Get Over Yourself issue 2 - As ever this is great.  We get to see more of Adrienne's family and the other Knights, and there's a beard/moustache/dwarf joke.   Great.

1 comment:

SallyP said...

I am so depressed that they are cancelling Demon Knights. It's fun, and it's different, and as you said, it has vampires and Amazons!