Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Comic reviews for comics bought on 18th May 2013

A-ha, I am up to date with reviews. I think.  Here goes thoughts on the following:
The Pride issues 1 and 2
Wonder Woman 20
Supergirl 20
Thor God of Thunder 8
Ultimate Comics Spider-man 23 (I swear we only just got the previous issue. I do not understand Marvel's shipping schedule)
FF 7
Fearless Defenders 4

Spoilers ahead.


The Pride issues 1 and 2
This is an indie comic about an LGBT superhero team.  It's rather obvious, in everything. I like the design of the Amazon analogue, but her characterisation is lacking.  The leader, Fabman, is a camp parody.  The English one is codenamed the Headmistress or Frost.  Then there's White Trash who isn't really out, a drag queen, a bear (a literal bear), a Wolverine/Batman mashup and a few more.  I can see what they are trying to do, but sadly I don't think it quite works.  Anyway, if you are interested they have a facebook page where you can order the comics.  Here is a pic of the 2 issues:
Wonder Woman 20
I do like this series, but I don't have much sense of Wondy herself.  She does her duty, she protects the innocent, but I don't know how she feels about this.  I don't know what her aspirations are, what she likes and does not like.  I know what the Gods like and want, but nothing about Diana.

Supergirl 20
This series has much improved since H'El on earth ended.  I've just noticed that Mike Johnson hasn't been writing the last few issues.  He had a very serious take on Kara, which was OK but the tone has now changed. Frank Hannah did issue 18, Johnson did 19 and Miuchael Alan Nelson wrote 20.  This issue is downright funny.  Kara's fortress, Sanctuary, has decided that Kara is a clone and Power Girl is real, so Kara must be destroyed.  The Sanctuary has become sarcastic, it's wonderful.  With that humour and Peej and Supergirl supporting each other, being friendly and not fighting each other, this issue is probably the best of this week's purchases.

Thor God of Thunder 8
Of course then we have Thor which has a panel of Thor hitting Thor round the face with a space shark.  Why yes I do think you should buy this comic.

Ultimate Comics Spider-man 23
Can anyone explain Marvel's shipping schedule to me? I now understand this.
This issue jumps forward One Year Later.  Miles has quit the superhero shenaningans and he and his Dad are dealing with the death of Miles' mum.  This hurt to read.  I take back Supergirl being the best of the week, this series is astonishing.

FF 7
It is fun, and I like Medusa's and She-Thing's hair, but I am not sure how much I love this book. Right now I want to only be buying things I love.  I keep switching back and forth on whether to drop it or now.  Currently I say stick with it.

Fearless Defenders 4
Hee hee this is fun!  I like this Hippolyta, I would like a flying horse and I like the monsters.
I am a big fan of mythic stuff in comics, more please!

Justice League 20 - bloody awful.  Diana seems to have no idea about diplomacy and her and Supes seem like love struck pouty teenagers.  Why did they have to keep their romance a secret from the League anyway?   Since when is Batman the sensitive voice of reason?  Bollocks to this series.  Shazam was quite good though.

Ok, now to go read my comixology purchases I reckon.

1 comment:

SallyP said...

The Diana in her own book, and the Diana in Justice League are so completely different, that it simply boggles the mind. I agree that there doesn't seem to BE all that much of Diana in her own book, but I am having so much fun with the rest of the characters, that I really can't complain. But gosh, she is awful in Justice League!

Thor has been simply amazing. Space shark smacking and all. I love cranky old Thor so much.