Monday, April 08, 2013

Thatcher is dead

Good grief.  I can't quite believe it.  I'm not going to have a party because I think that's crass, and as an individual, I feel sad that she suffered and had dementia in her later years, but regarding what she did while in power....I loathe her.  I loathe her legacy, I loathe her politics, I loathe her actions, her rhetoric and I loathe her successors.  I do actually feel slightly cheered that she's now dead.  Which makes me a pretty terrible person, I know.

On twitter, @pgofton writes: This is a woman who had my mother in tears at the thought of her children dying in a nuclear war. Fuck her and fuck her legacy.

@paulcornell says: Except Thatcher's not dead. She's in every bloody atom of this so-called coalition's Britain.

@simon_price01 says: As a friend of mine succinctly put it, "Thatcher is dead. Now we need to kill off Thatcherism."

My twitter timeline is going to be full of rejoicing over the next few days.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  She ruined people's lives.  But I know that it's not a good character trait to celebrate over someone's death.  Mind you, people celebrate over dictator's deaths.  Now I know she wasn't a dictator but she did terrible, terrible things.

No comments: