Thursday, September 30, 2010

Comics reviews!

Ooh this week I came away with rather a lot of goods :o
There's the Stephanie Brown Batgirl figure (reviewed here at Action Figure Blues) - they had it on the shop wall so I buckled.  She's pretty nice.  Good articulation, nice accessories and good hair.  I'll get a proper review and pictures up at another time.

Then there's the grab bag of about 10 Justice League comics - including JLI, JLE and Justice League quarterly!  When I got home and investigated the contents I discovered that amongst those included were the Batman one punch issue. and the introduction of Power Girl's cat!  So score 10 points for me.

As for the comics.. well spoilers ahead for Gotham City Sirens 16, Green Arrow #4 and Wonder Woman #603.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Gotham City Sirens 16
This was a lot of fun - the art was very strange in places but the story was fun.  It was a little all over the place but in a good way.  Harley provided the comic relief again, but in a really fun way.  I give this issue top marks.

Green Arrow #4
God this was dull.  It rehashed the Brightest Day J'onn in the forest plot and made it a lot less interesting.
I shouldn't be having this reaction - I adore Ollie.  He's one of my favourite characters, yet this book is boring the pants off me.  I suspect this is because it's all mired in the crossover and is framed as being really dark.  I want fun Ollie.  I want Dinah back.  Or at least Mia.  I want happy, smiling, grumpy, sexed up, chilli making, horny, fighting against the fascists Ollie.  I want Dinah back with him and the both of them flirting together.  I want Connor back, non powered, as an awesome martial artist and archer. I do not want angst.  This is boring.

Wonder Woman #603
I got the alternate cover - it is lovely.  I continue to like Diana in this - she is time displaced, but she's still very much the leader.  I wasn't so enamoured with the trip to Hades angle, but I appreciate the incorporation of Greek mythology.  I really want to see who this mystery man is and I *really* want to see Diana kick his ass and get her lasso back next issue.

I wonder if she's going to have to search for all the treasures, a la Ben Caldwell's Wonder Woman in Wednesday Comics?

Finally, go read about the 10 greatest nude comic book fights of all time.  There's plenty of naked man action, and the Bat and the Cat is in there!

3 comments:

Eyz said...

I want fun Green Arrpw back as well :(

Stephen said...

Green Arrow and Canary broke up??? I thought they just got married.

Saranga said...

they did only get married a couple of years ago. then with the aftermath of cry for justice, I gather that dinah decided to leave him. :( I didn't catch those particular issues so i'm not sure of the full story, but they def aren't together anymore.