Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Celtic myths and Silver Banshee hits Smallville!

So, the book reading first.  I got a lil carried away buying candles for Ostara a couple of weeks back and came out with a book entitled 'Women in Celtic Myth', by Moyra Caldecott.  My mother is Irish and I grew up reading lots of Irish myths, folk tales and stories as they have always really intrigued me.  Glamorous and battle filled, with tragedy, passion and magic animals, 6 year old me was most definitely bowled over by them.

Anyway, this book turns out to be rather good.  Caldecott has rewritten several stories, of Irish and Welsh origin, and then provides commentary on each tale, and provides references for where she got the stories from!  In my limited experience, this is quite rare in books of this type.

This is the book cover:

and you can buy it from Amazon here.

If Irish myth tickles your fancy, I can also highly recommend Pat O'Shea's The Hounds of the Morrigan.  It's a YA book, and long at 480 pages but oh my is it worth it.  It's a quest story of 2 young kids tasked with locating a pebble with an imprint of the Morrigan's eye on (from when Cuchulain wounded her) and along the way they encounter many of the key players in Irish mythology.  This book is wonderful and I have lost count of how many times I have read it.

And in kind of linking with this, Silver Banshee is coming to Smallville!  Check out these pictures:


I'm not too sure what I think of her costume..the make up is good, but the hair?  I'll have to wait and see what she's like on screen.

And just because I'm still enamoured with him, here's a lovely picture of the lovely Justin Hartley:


*letch letch*

No comments: