Sunday, December 13, 2009

Robots and swords and batgirls, oh my..

Onto the back issue edition...Spoilers ahead for Hawkgirl #62, The Hedge Night: Sworn Sword #4 and Batgirl #4.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Hawkgirl #62
A wee while ago I was reading the Hawkgirl series and I remember particularly enjoying this issue, with the giant robot Hawkgirl.  The story is that an old Apokolisian weapon has been reactivated on earth and has used Kendra Saunders as a template, creating itself in image of her.  The female furies are also on earth at this point so they band together with Kendra to stop the weapon.
It turns out that this issue is a pile of crap.  It is poorly written (like the rest of this run) and exploitative in regards to the furies' costumes.  Even the existence of robot Kendra cannot save it.


The Hedge Night: Sworn Sword #4
Based on a George R R Martin novella, which is in turn set amongst the Song of Ice and Fire series (if you like fantasy you *must* read this series), I was a bit dubious about the quality of this comic.  It turns out my worries were unfounded, as this is actually a very good read.

Ser Duncan the Tall and Egg are in character in line with the novella and the political set up of the land slots in well with what I know of the books.  A fine accompaniment  to the books.  Taking a further look at the creator credits, I see that is because Martin wrote the comic.  Definitely reccomended.

Batgirl #4
I opted to purchase this after seeing several scans on the internets. I do like Steph, a lot.  I'm not sure I've really got much to add to the masses of reviews already circulating on the internet.  We see Steph getting credit and acclaim from a little girl on a bus, Wendy of the Wonder twins fame dealing with her paralysis and bereavement and beign comforted by Babs, and a Steph vs Livewire fight.  It's good.  I was going to start picking this up from issue 6, but I see that issue 6 is the second of a two parter.  Sigh.  Another ones gets added to the pull list then.

No comments: