Monday, August 19, 2013

Couch to 10k: Week 6 session 2 and 3

Session 2 - 38 min. Run 3 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 7 times.
Session 3 - 50 min. Run 3 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 10 times.

You may remember last week that I said week 6, session 1 was really hard.  Well it was.  I intended to do session 2 on Thursday and session 3 on Sunday, but by Thursday I was still shattered so decided not to go out.  I didn't manage much on Tues/Wed/Thurs evenings, just made dinner and watched telly.  Then I was away with work on Friday so realised that if I wanted to finish this week and not repeat it, I had to go out Saturday and Sunday.  Argh.  That was daunting.  Here's my report:

Session 2 - 38 min. Run 3 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 7 times.
As I started running I felt like I had more power in my legs, more energy.  I guess this is because I'd had a 3 day break between sessions.  As I moved between the running and the walking parts of each round, I felt like the momentum from the running carried me through to a fast walk, and it was just a temporary breather that gave me just enough time to spring into action 60 seconds later to run again.

I was so caught up in it, in the ease of it it barely registered when I was in my last round.  Then something weird happened.  About 30 seconds in I got this rising sense of panic.  Like there was something clutched around my chest freaking me out.  I have no idea what this was, I've not had it before while running (although I can be an anxious person) and it was actually quite scary.  I ran through it and finished the 3 minute round, but although the feelings reduced when I stopped running, they didn't fully subside for about an hour.

Let's hope that doesn't happen again.

Session 3 - 50 min. Run 3 minutes. Walk 1 minute. Do this 10 times.
Sunday morning I woke up feeling OK so decided I would do this last session.  The first round was hard but then I got into my stride.  I had no panicked feelings this session, which is good.  I did the whole session on the heath, rather than having to move to the roads, but that's primarily because I thought I'd go a new way.  My sense of direction has not improved much so I found myself doing a sort of lazy circle.  Ah well.

Regarding wildlife, I saw a really straggly juvenile rook, looking a bit like this but with less white, some brown bird bobbing about in the undergrowth, I want to say a thrush but I really do have no idea, and various insects.  I went out for a walk with a friend later that afternoon and we saw lots of old cobwebs strewn amongst the gorse, heard crickets and saw quite a few mainly-white butterflies.  Sadly I didn't get enough of a look at the butterflies to identify them.  None of the gorse was in flower, which is odd, because it does usually flower all year round.

Total raised: £25.75.
That includes £1 from me for session 2 and 3, plus £1 for the walk yesterday afternoon, plus a donation via MyDonate for 3.75 (including gift aid). Thank you thank you thank you!!

Please consider sponsoring me to do this training.  As my MyDonate profile says:

I'm learning to run! Follow my progress here:
www.paiwings.blogspot.com

I'm fundraising for the Abortion Support Network (ASN) because it's unethical to force someone to carry a child they don't want. When women don't have access to safe, legal abortions their mental and physical health is at risk and sometimes they die. In both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland abortion is very very restricted. Where abortion is nominally allowed, when the pregnant woman's life is at risk doctors are unclear as to what 'at risk' means.

Last year a woman suffering a miscarriage was denied an abortion and a week later died of septicaemia.

ASN provides money for travel and the abortion procedure in England, which can cost between £400 and £2000. Women are asked to raise as much as they can and ASN provide the rest. ASN have volunteer hosts who give women a place to stay and get them to the abortion clinic.

 
I'm donating a pound for every training session I complete. I'd like others to help me by also donating, whether it's per session or for a one off amount.

I've never run before. 5 weeks into the programme I can run a bit. I'm amazing myself. I'll amaze myself more if I can actually manage a 10k run.

Assuming I complete the training, I intend to enter a 10k race in mid October.

 
You can sponsor me through the MyDonate link given above, or give directly to the Abortion Support Network here: https://www.abortionsupport.org.uk/support-us/donate/

No comments: