In January I wrote about what I wanted to achieve this year. In February I did an update. I want to update again, so here goes.
Find a work/life balance
- Achieved. I have been part time in a new role since March and my mental health has improved considerably. I still get tied up in knots and make stupid decisions but the balance is vastly, vastly better.
- As I now work 2.5 days a week only I get lots more time with my boy and it's wonderful. I've got to know him much better, we do loads of fun things and he is much happier having me around more. I've had a period of several weeks of frustration and crossness as he goes through a difficult phase, but that is far preferable to working full time in a job I don't like and can't do.
Teach the toddler to say thank you, tidy up after himself and like vegetables.
- He is now so polite! He says please, thank you and you're welcome in nearly every appropriate situation. Other people comment on how polite and kind he is. I'm in awe of his manners, he's better than me. After prompting, he now tidies up with little complaint. He is also eating vegetables now - that was clearly just a developmental thing and just took time for him to get there but he's got a better diet now.
Do yoga a few times a week
- Not managed this. But I have booked an outside personal trainer session for next weekend so we'll see how that goes.
Spend less money
- Given that I earn a lot less than I did I am now far more careful with money and I budget for and record everything I spend, so I am far more in control now.
Work on reducing my trichotillomania symptoms
- I started having electrolysis in August and my electrologist is amazing. After my first session with her I threw away the tweezers. 15 years of relying on the damn things and I threw them away with not much concern. Since the start of August I have plucked on two occasions, which were each days that an appointment was cancelled. Inbetween appointments I shave or trim my chin hairs and the only hair removal is by my electrologist at the appointment. I have just done 2 weeks without having any hair removed by myself or her (due to a gap in appointments). I never ever thought I would be able to do that. My skin is looking far better, far less pink, and the hairs are considerably finer and lighter in colour, I am amazed.
Be more appreciative of my parents
- Hmm. I don't know if I do this, I can't be objective about my relationship with them.
Get my asthma and knee twinges under control
- Asthma is up and down. I took ibuprofen for a knee flare up and it made me wheezy. My knee flare ups are less regular than they were, but I do need to work on strengthening the muscles. Hopefully the personal trainer can help with that.
Cycle to work more - don't get the bus because it is easy.
- I usually cycle. If my asthma is acting up, or my knee, I get the bus, but mostly I cycle. I have realised how exhausted I was in my last job so actually I don't feel bad about not cycling in every day then.
Give up sugar for lent
- I did this. It was really hard, then easy, then hard again. It hasn't stopped me wanting sugar but I go through periods of reducing my sugar intake. I'll do it again next year.