Monday, February 08, 2010

Buffy's a fucking superhero!

Yeah I don't hold with not swearing.  Spoilers ahead for Superman: World of New Krypton #12 (last one! sob), Red Robin #9 (still so very good), Blackest Night: Wonder Woman #3 (some wtfery moments there), The Question: Blackest Night #37 (resurrected title) (surprisingly quality), Buffy the Vampire Slayer #32 (this was so written for comics nerds, I loved it).
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Superman: World of New Krypton #12
Oh my lord, this finally finished.  I feel all sad now.  Once Blackest Night, Flash Rebirth and Cry for Justice is over I'll only be getting 8 titles a month.  :o  How bizzare.  Anyway, onto the review!

We find out who is behind the shootings on New Krypton.  The story was going really well until this point.  Then it seemed that this guy was made to be the villain purely to test Kal's faith in Kryptonity (like humanity, but with Kryptonians, I'm not sure what the correct grammatical form would be, help me out if you know).  It felt rather shoehorned in and wasn't remotely neccessary to the plot.  I mean, I know we've now got another link with General Lane established, but we already know he had links on Krypton, and personally, I think Zod's been chatting up Lane anyway.

Given the final cliffhanger is Brainiac coming back and threatening New Krypton, the inclusion of the traitor felt badly delivered and badly handled.  A shame, as otherwise I have really enjoyed this series.


Red Robin #9
Oh Timmy!  He's happy again!  He hugged Kon, he talked about Bart and he has a crush on Tam!  Oh i've missed happy Tim, angsty Tim is understandable and wasn't so bad, but it looks like we'll soon have the old team back!  :D :D :D  Second most enjoyable comic of the week.  And crossing over with the next Batgirl issue, so I think I will actually add Batgirl to my pull list.  I've missed the last issue but I should be able to get hold of a copy.


Blackest Night: Wonder Woman #3
Still in a fucking stupid costume, but that doesn't stop her being all serene and majestic.  I like Diana.  She's very calm when she's taking out the Black Lanterns.  So, Di tries to save Mera from the Red ring and they share a glimpse into each other's psyche where it is revealed that Diana actually loves Batman.  Hmm.  Seems I was wrong when I said she was just being friendly with the kiss.  I wonder if she loves Green Arrow too?  I have no clue what Mera's big secret is, the art showed us nothing.


The Question: Blackest Night #37 (resurrected title)
As I said, surprisingly good.  It's Renee vs Shiva vs Black Lanterns.  It's always a trreat to see Shiva.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #32
Best of the week, by a mile.  Buffy gets fucking superpowers!  Faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound and flying like a bird sort of superpowers.  No heat vision though, or phasing, or teleportation, or adamantium claws, or solving mysteries (wait that's not a power), or web spinning, or armour building.

Why yes, Xander asked abotu every single one of those.  C'mon, admit it, you'd all do the same if a friend of yours got superpowers.  Plus, there's a Goonies joke, a Superman movie reference, a Joshua reference (which I really don't understand), and Warren has built a machine from a DC comic!  A Simonson deisgn, an X-Men/TT crossover (I think they threw X-Men in for copyright reasons), and they talk about Darkseid.  To me, it looks like the machine from the 1st crisis.

Oh and Buffy's got her powers because lots of Slayers who are dying and she's inheriting their strength etc.  Which is taken right from the Straczynski Power comics.

So this comic nerd very much enjoyed this issue.  It was all about the superhero tropes and it was fantastic.  Oh, ansd go read this review for more nerdy squealing.

6 comments:

Sea-of-Green said...

I thought Buffy already HAD superpowers. I mean, she kills vampires, for crying out loud! :-)

Red said...

I've been reading the BtVS reviews and spoilers online (Whedonesque is a great source for links) but will wait for the trade paper back next month. Just as I prefer to watch multiple Buffy eps back to back to get a good feel for the story arc, I prefer to read the issues in the TPB.

wv: minglogs. I'm imagining blue and white ceramic logs in a gas fireplace with blue and white tile surround.

Saranga said...

@ sea: to be fair, that was my view first, but then i read the issue, and now she's got proper tights and capes superpowers! and it's the most in joke issue ever! it is fabulous.

@red: it will probly read better in a tpb form. some issues are so so.

fishmilkshake said...

Happy Tim is a much welcome return. DC must have gotten tired of my email rants to them.

Saranga said...

hi fms! nice to see you here! ahh, this tim was delightful :)

Hazel said...

Brad Meltzer restored my waning interest in the Buffy comics. Great stuff.