Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Gotham City Sirens #4/Teen Titans #75/Blackest Night Titans #2 + GL #46

First of two posts for today.  There will be a Green Arrow scan going up later, as requested by notintheface over at Stars and Garters.
 
I’ve upped lowered (?) the ante to 4 sentence reviews.  Spoilers ahead.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Gotham City Sirens #4
Still full of cheesecake, still great.  This is a lot of fun, helped enormously by the fact I have a soft spot for Harley, as I do for any bonkers female villain in love (why hellooo there Cupid!).  In this issue both Hush and the Joker try to kill Harley, but are foiled by Selina and Ivy.  The art is great.

Teen Titans #75
New (black, female) writer Felicia D Henderson is on board.  Diversity in writers is great, and the dialogue was fast paced, but ultimately I’d forgotten that I’d read the issue by the next day.  The cover is particularly boring and the plot was so-so.  I won’t be able to judge Henderson’s writing for a few more issues, and as I don’t think I’m capable of dropping TT that will work out fine.

Blackest Night: Titans #2

Hey, it looks like Dove doesn’t exhibit any emotional aura, despite the fact she’s quite clearly full of rage, anguish and love.  Could this be connected to her being the avatar of Peace?  Oh I do hope she has a big role to play in Blackest Night, I love the Hawk and Dove team.  The other thing that excited me about this is the return of Tempest, Dolphin (who I heart so much) and who I presume is Aquagirl (who I have no feelings towards either way).

Blackest Night: Green Lantern #46

Oh my, so much to love in this issue.  Sod my previous 4 sentence rule, I’m going to gush via the medium of a list:
  • The conversations between Sinestro and Carol. Carol and Hal, and Hal and Sinestro.
  • Indigo-1 mocking Hal.
  • Indigo-1 in general.
  • Khufu and Chay-ara being the beings that power the Star Sapphires power battery.  I may be a cynical git but I love the Hawkman/woman reincarnation through love deal, almost as much as I love Wally being anchored to earth through Linda and his’ love for each other.
  • The panel of the black Guardian telling all unengaged Black Lanterns to follow the Indigo light.  Not only is it a very scary image you are now terrified for what that will mean for the inhabitants of the Indigo bubble.
  • Xanshi.
  • The last page, specifically Hal’s indignant outburst.
Things I don’t love:
The fact I know nothing about Slushh (good name for a mucous-y being) and so didn’t understand what the hell happened with him.


And that’s all my recent purchases covered, barring my trips to the back issue box.  Sadly there are no more Warrior ones to pick up but I have purchased all the Impulse ones they had.  General thoughts on Impulse coming up later in the month.

No comments: