Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Wonder Woman to be renumbered?

I know I'm late with this, but give me a break I've been on holiday.

The DC comics editorial of 2 Thursdays ago has given us an option to get Wonder Woman renumbered to 600, at volume 3's 45.  Dan Didio has stated that if he gets 600 postcards requesting the series be renumbered, then he will re number it.  Approx sales figures for July give WW 34 as selling 30,131 issues. So it would seem that getting 600 people to write in should be easy.

As Didio states, there are 2 points of view on this.  One says keep the numbering low to keep the series more accessible to new readers, one says renumber it to show the characters history and legacy and put her on a par with Batmand and Superman.

Personally I don't much are either way, although I am inclined to think that the numbering is less relevant in terms of attracting new readers, and the best way to get people on board is to publicise new story arcs or trade collections.

What I do like about this is the way that the industry involves fans.  Fans got to choose if Jason Todd lived or died.  Fan pressure brought Steph back.  Fans can engage with and influence stories.  That's the advantage of having long running characters.

I will send in a postcard requesting that she be renumbered, because I like that we can have influence.

What do you all think?  For the re-numbering?  Against it? Why do you feel the way you do?

As a slightly tangential bonus, have some pictures of the Acropolis in Lindos.  It used to be dedicated to Athena.






2 comments:

James Ashelford said...

I say renumber it myself because I think there's mileage in emphasising the age of the character in order to emphasis her importance.

Besides, if a second-tier title like X-Factor can get renumbered to reflect legacy over shiny, spangly newness then I think the oldest female principal in comics deserves it.

ShellyS said...

I'm for renumbering. Superman and Batman have had and still have more than one title and their main ones haven't started over. No one worried that new readers would find them inaccessible. Wonder Woman has the one title. It should reflect her endurance, longevity, and importance in the DCU.