Friday, January 30, 2009

If men were objectified too (NSFW)

In my last post I mentioned that I'd found a delightful underwear catalogue for men. It's not quite an underwear catalogue but still serves my point. Oh and it's real. Visit the website here.
Seriously Not Safe For Work.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.








What the fuck? They look ridiculous, both the men and the pants. Yet it's a pretty accurate conversion of a lot of women's pants to the male equivalent. And the female equivalent is accepted as normal.
If men were really objectified (in the mainstream comics) to the same extent that women are, they'd be wearing stuff like that. And posed in a similar fashion.

Esme Dodderidge's The New Gulliver looked at the role of women's clothes and their purposes in a western (American) culture. It's a pretty good women's press book about a bloke finding himself in a matriarchal world, and matriarchal in the same way we currently live in a patriarchal one. All of women's and men's role and assumptions and privilege is swapped.

Still listening to Geneva - Further It really is a supremely well crafted album. If they had been around 5 to 1o years later, so 2002/2003, they would probably have been huge. As it is they got swallowed by the Britpop cheeky monkey music and weren't. Far far better than Gene ever were. I must try to track down the second album now.

6 comments:

SallyP said...

Holy bulging eyeballs!

I stared, then I laughed, and then I stared some more. And then all I could think of, was how uncomfortable it all looked.

James Meeley said...

Speaking as a man, I'm not offended, insulted or feeling any sense of being lessened in any way by these images. The fact they exist does not harm me, or bother me, in ther least

Of course, I don't transfer my own sense of self-worth into things like photos of attractive model or comic book heroes, or what others who don't know me will think of me based on such material, either.

Just thought a male's thoughts might be important here.

Saranga said...

James,
It's not about what an individual person may or may not think. I fully realise that any group of people whom (who? that? which?) may share a personality trait or a physical characteristic can have wildly differing opinions about the same thing.
I also do not transfer my self worth onto models or comic book icons. That is not what the post was about.

The post was about highlighting the difference between how women and men are represented, both in real life and in the comic world (given the nature of this blog), and also how we take for granted women's clothes and the function thereof.
(
For the record, I didn't say I didn't like them, just that they look ridiculous.)

Hannah said...

I have decided that I love you Saranga! Great post. Nice of James to come on here and completely misunderstand what you were getting at.

Saranga said...

Lol, thanks Hannah!

Mary Tracy said...

This is hilarious. And aimed at gay men, surely to God.

It's also hard to imagine this not being "safe for work" when, let's be honest, the female equivalent is deemed safe enough for bilboards and magazine covers.