Saturday, January 15, 2011

Black Adam: The Dark Age

Massive spoilers ahead.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Who decided this mini was a good direction for Black Adam?  I really liked him, Isis and Osiris in 52.  he was a sympathetic character and they had an interesting dynamic.

And now, now..now Black Adam is a cannibal.  He's got Isis' bones.  He's going to find a Lazarus Pit to resurrect her.  He has no food, so his faithful servant/follower insists on being Adam's dinner.
I am not kidding.

What, Adam being responsible for genocide wasn't dark enough for you?  You had to have him tucking into a human leg?

And then... Isis is resurrected, completely sane (what's her secret? Everyone else is driven mad by the Lazarus pit).  Then she falls to rotting pieces.  Adam somehow fetches her bones out of the pit (HOW???), leaves, meets a yeti, stabs it and uses its still living guts as a rope, so that he can recover his bag filled with his wife's bones, which he has carelessly dropped down the cliffside.

If you would like to see scans of this delightful scene, please leave a comment and I will post the scans for you.  They're incredibly tasteless.  This whole mini is incredibly tasteless!


By the way, this sentence at the top of the word balloon is one of the worst I have read in a long time:
Where's the punctuation?

As for Adam's magic word, it turns out to be a phrase.  Chocolate Egg Cream.  It's a dessert.  That's ridiculous.  It's less ridiculous than the one he gets hampered with in Countdown (which I haven't read yet, so I don't know why Adam gets a new word).  Why on earth would you just give him one word though?  All he would need to do is read the dictionary aloud till he got the right one.  Sheesh.

Peter J Tomasi wrote this.  I thought he had a good reputation?  What gives?  The art is by Doug Mahnke and is also pretty terrible.

3 comments:

SallyP said...

This wasn't the world's greatest mini-series. But I do have to say that the whole "Chocolate Egg Cream" scene just cracked me up.

Steve said...

I, for one, would like to see the tasteless scans you mentioned. I'm morbidly curious like that, and find the over-the-topness of things like that quite amusing.

Saranga said...

I will put them up tomorrow!