Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Green Lantern ramble

I’ve started reading old Green Lantern stuff. I’m got to issue 12 of volume 2, about Hal Jordan. It’s an odd experience. I’ve been reading SallyP’s, Kalinara’s and Sea of Green’s blogs for so long I reckon I’ve picked up a fair amount about the characters of the Green Lanterns. I definitely know more about key (and probably not so key events) that in all honesty I have no right knowing even exist, seeing as how I’ve only really read 2 trades and a few JLA issues featuring Kyle.

I’m finding myself going, ahh, there’s Hal, hitting on women, getting himself whacked in the noggin, yeah, he does that all the time. Then I have to remind myself I don’t actually know what he’s like as this is pretty much the first time reading him.

Anyway, back to the point. So far, so fun. I thought the writing style, plots and inevitable bad science of the 1960s would drive me crazy, but it turns out I’m fine with it. When I’ve tried to read Aquaman issues from the 60s I’ve had to give up in despair. I managed to soldier through Green Arrow Showcase (stories from the 50s and 60s) but believed that to be a one off rare occurrence.

And again, back to the point, I thought I’d share an image of Hal being not so bright, as I hear it’s a pretty typical occurrence:


(Check me out, I learned how to crop one panel. Just the one mind.)


I have to ask, what does he plan to do if he runs out of juice before he’s made the lamp visible again?

For reference, I think the panel is from issue 5.


If (when?) I come across any other exciting bits I’ll post them.

2 comments:

wiec? said...

i'm just trying to keep up with all of Hal's more recent adventures. he seems to be all over the place in the DCU these days. more Blackest Night goodies tomorrow can't wait.

oh ps- just gave you an award. check my post on 7/28:)

Sea-of-Green said...

Oh, wait until you start running into all the gags involving Tom Kalmaku desperately trying to find Hal's (invisible) power battery while Hal (ALWAYS in peril) is just on the verge of having his ring run out of power. That happens a LOT.

Congrats on your panel crop! I do that all the time just because I don't like having to click on full pages to make 'em large enough to read. Cropping panels out of pages is a pain, but I think it's worth it in the long run.