Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Couch to 10k: Week 9, session 1 (aka oh-my-lord-that-was-really-hard)

68 min. Run 10 minutes/walk 1 minute; Run 15 minutes/walk 1 minute. Run 20 minutes/walk 1 minute. Run 10 minutes. 

So yesterday I did what has been dubbed the evil run.  If you remember that the longest I have ever run before is 10 minutes at a time, you see why my friend dubbed it evil.

I had one unexpected break mid the 15 minute round as I went past my house and ducked in for one minute to use the toilet.  In total I ran for 5.93 miles, which if you take out the 5 minute walks to warm up and cool down, done at about 3.5 miles an hour, means that I ran for about 5.43 miles. I think it takes me just under 10 minutes to do 1 mile, which is good.  At this rate it will take me just over 1 hour to do 10k (6.2 miles).  I am happy with that.

Man, 15 minutes and 20 minutes is a realllllllly long time.  A realllly long time. I was checking my watch every 3 minutes.  Physically, it was hard work and I think I did most of it on automatic.  During the last 10 minutes of running my knees started hurting.  They are better today.

So when I got home I sat on the stairs and lost the power of speech.  I’d already lost the power of thought and I think I ran for 16 minutes instead of 15 because I couldn’t do mental arithmetic. I got home and the boyfriend gave me a glass of water and asked how it went and I just went blargh bleurgh wiffle.    It was not good.  He made dinner and I sat down and when I got up 1 hour later I nearly fell over.  That is not an exaggeration.  My legs didn’t work.  My move upstairs to bed was done in a crab like motion.  When I got out of bed this morning I went down the stairs nearly doubled over.  The walk to work helped stretch me out.  I didn’t do any stretches last night, I was too wrecked.  Also, once I’d ate dinner I felt sick.  I think I ate too much.

The next session is running for 5 minutes at a time.  Thank god.


Total tally of money raised is an amazing £126.50!!!!  That's £29 from me, £78 in donations from lovely, lovely, generous people and £19.50 in gift aid.  That's 63% towards my target of £200.  I never thought Id get this much.  Youre all amazing!  THANK YOU!!!

If you'd like to sponsor me you can do so here or give directly to ASN here - they provide money to Irish women needing to travel to the UK for abortions.  Abortion is incredibly restricted in Ireland, both the Republic and the North, although it is perfectly legal for women to travel to obtain an abortion.  The cost of an abortion, travel and accommodation varies between approximately £400 and £2,000, which means that less well off women often find it difficult to raise the necessary funds.  ASN also have volunteer hosts who provide a place to stay and meals for women travelling to the UK.  You can find out more about the women who need ASN's help by reading their newsletters.

No comments: