Monday, April 15, 2013

Race for Life

On 18th May I am going to do the Race for Life.  This is an annual fundraiser for Cancer Research UK who fund about half of the UK's annual cancer research programmes.  Participants can do either a 5k or 10k track, and they can run or walk.  I will be walking the 10k with a few friends, because I don't run, and I don't think I have a hope in hell of training up to 10k between now and then.  10k is about 6.5 miles, and I think it will take us between 2 and 2.5 hours to walk it.

So, this is a plea for sponsorship.  My fundraising page is here.  Please, please consider sponsoring me.  Even if it's just a penny or a pound.

As to why i'm doing it.  Well, with my new fitness regime the idea of a 10k walk is exciting.  I also like fundraising and giving to charity, but I can't afford to give a lot or money.  Doing a sponsored walk/run will hopefully allow me to raise more than I could personally give.

As for the disease itself, I have not been personally affected by cancer, but I have a few friends who have had breast cancer or lung cancer.   Family members and friends' family members have had skin cancer and other types of rare cancer.  My friends are fully recovered, thankfully.  Oddly enough they are not the primary reason I am doing the race.  I am doing it because cancer is a shit disease, and while my friends were lucky to recover, lots of people aren't.  It seems to me to be a very common disease.  I have no idea about general recovery rates, other than that every cancer is different so that every case is different.

Thank you for reading.


No comments: