Sunday, April 14, 2013

Comic Reviews for week 3rd April 2013

Spoilers ahead for Animal Man 19, Batwing 19, Action Comics 19, FF 5, Princeless Vol 2 issue 1: get Over Yourself and the Superman vs Shazam trade.  The best ones are Princeless and Superman vs Shazam.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Animal Man 19
 I am very glad Rotworld is over.  I am very sad that Cliff has died. The gatefold WTF cover does not really generate a WTF?! reaction in me because we already knew that Cliff had died.  This issue is about Cliff's funeral and the family's reaction to his death.  Ellen has had enough of the trauma and declares that she's leaving Buddy.  Buddy goes into the red to try and get Cliff back - the totems don't appreciate his insolence and strip him of some of his powers.  Maxine is hiding Socks the cat in her bedroom and thinks she can do something to help Cliff.

This was a much better comic.  It had emotion and characters I'm invested in.  I care about what happens to them and how they relate to each other.  The horror feel of it was brought back as Buddy was back in the red.  Now, this isn't better because it deals with the death of a child.  It's better because it isn't part of a forced crossover.  I feel happy recommending this book to people again.  Now, Jeff Lemire writes but I think he's moving off this title - am I right?  He's doing Green Arrow and Justice League Dark so perhaps I should start picking those up in hardcopy.


Batwing 19
I got this because the general twitter consensus was it is very good.  It's written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray, I think they are the new ongoing writers.  The WTF gatefold showed a new Batwing, who turns out to be Luke Fox, Lucius Fox's son, I think.  David, the previous Batwing, has quit his Bat role as he cannot reconcile the different parts of his life.  But fear not, he will still fight crime, just not dressed as a flying rodent.  I'm not clear about exactly what he was up to before, as it's been a while since I read this series.  I may pick up the next issue of this.  I feel a bit sad that David has to go, as I liked the African focus of the series and now it will be based in America, like everything else.  Obviously the African focus wasn't enough to keep me buying the previous issues though.

Action Comics 19
Again, I bought this because the twitter consensus was that it is fab.  The WTF gatefold cover show Superman fighting Jimmy Olsen in a robot suit.  Inside it's very quickly and superficially explained that it's not really Jimmy in the suit, but someone who looks very like him, or a clone, or similar.  That was disappointingly dealt with.

There are two pages of Lois and Clark flirting in this, and it's gorgeous and sexy.  I wish there were more well established couples in DC because the sexual tension between two people with history is great to read and quite often beats new flings.  Perhaps I just think that because I've been with my partner for 10 years and still think he's hot.
I also like that after Clark ended this encounter by rushing off to save people, Lois turns her eyes to another fella who comes along to chat her up.  There is nothing wrong with women fancying more than one person at a time.

The fight scene was OK, enjoyable enough.  Luthor is still a creepy, controlling ass, and by the end of the issue has successfully poisoned Superman with Kyryptonite.  I now have a dreadful premonition of Doomsday turning up.  Hopefully I'm wrong and I just don't know Super-history as well as I should.

Andy Diggle wrote this but is now off the title (he walked away from it).  Darn.

Final comment @seyd suggested on twitter that this is "DC's official contribution to the ?! XD" and that "Clark Kent looks like he's modelling for the centrefold of Attitude Magazine".
Ha!  She has a good point :D


FF 5
I had completely forgotten what happened in this issue.  I think  my favourite part of it is She-Hulk's muscles.
There's something in here about cookies and then old Johnny Storm tries to burn down Manhattan.  The fishy kids work out how to stop him (by sending a giant fish monster who sends a deluge of water to put out his flames).  Alex Power is off somewhere in Latveria.  A brown haired kid is woken up by menacing looking adults, one of whom is wearing a pink helmet and informs the kid he is his father.  I have no idea who these people are.  Medusa's flowers are a nice touch.


Princeless Get Over Yourself issue 1
This is fab.  It's always fab.  It is probably my favourite indie comic.  Or at least in my top 5 of indie comics.  I reviewed volume 1 here.  You can buy all issues from Comixology here.  Everyone I've introduced it too loves it.  It's so, so, so good.

This is a comfortable issue, with the same tone, humour and trope busting that the previous issues have and it starts this new story arc off nicely.   The band of 6 knights out to slay the knight who stole Adrienne (actually Adrienne herself - the King does Not Have All The Facts)  Meanwhile, Adrienne and Bedelia are out journeying with their dragon and meet a posturing poet, out to find out he's after Angelica, Adrienne's beautiful sister (also sealed in a tower awaiting rescuing).
My only criticism is that the lettering is rather large - it seems like everyone is shouting.  But apart from that, it's a great, great issue.  Please go buy it.

Superman vs Shazam trade
This is wonderful, silver age fun.  It's appropriate for all ages, it shows a heroism untainted by cynicism and it is a great read.  Since I've been studying Gender through Comics I was thinking about gender roles while reading the comic.  As such, the first story really stood out.

It is nominally about Superman and Cap'n Marvel, but really, it is Supergirl and Mary Marvel who outsmart the villains and save the day. It felt very progressive and shows the women's intelligence and heroism. Meanwhile Supes and the Captain are tricked into fighting each other and nearly destroy the world.

When I compare Mary in this to the degraded Mary that was used in Countdown... well I think these Silver Age stories have a much better message. And their costumes are sensible - no heeled shoes and while Mary's dress is a bit on the short side, Supergirl's isn't sexual.
If you want to read more, a full review covering the gender stuff, has been done on Supergirl Comic Box Commentary - http://comicboxcommentary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/superman-vs-shazam-trade.html

This is highly, highly recommended.  Particularly if you've got a nice Summer's day.

No comments: