Monday, May 17, 2010

Super Powered Krytonian Reviews!

Spoilers ahead for Power Girl # 11, Supergirl # 52, War of the Superman 0 and 2 and the Green Arrow preview.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Power Girl #11
I decided to get the issues I'd missed, but will be dropping this after #12 as Amanda Connor and Jimmy Palmiotti are leaving, and as much as I love Judd Winick, I just don't think I'll enjoy it even half as much without Connor drawing it.

Anyway, this issue has brain swapping, underground cities, talking badgers, tigers and gorillas, amateur surgery and adorableness from Terra.  Like the other issues, it's of a very high quality and I will miss this creative team when they go.

Supergirl #52
Fun cover:

Yet again I forgot to look for the alternate cover, which was tres stupid of me:
I'm didn't follow Last Stand of New Krypton so have no idea how this fits in with the rest of the story arc, but thankfully this had enough character stuff in it to keep it interesting.  Namely Kara and Brainy's interaction.  A pretty good crossover issue.

War Of The Supermen #s 0 + 2
Issue # 1 is on order.  I've got no fucking clue how Krypton got out of the bottle, or how it was destroyed, or why some people survived.  I'm guessing that the short answer to why is there an army of Kryptonians heading towards Earth is that Zod and General Lane are both maniacs.

One thing that really pissed me off about this was Ursa being given a sexual dimension to her evilness.  Enough already.  We're not all saints or sinners you know.  Judging by current output, I'm gonna blame James Hack Robinson for this one.

Number 0 was a fine recap issue and it reintroduced Jimmy Olsen.  I'd forgotten he was dead.  No one mourned him.

#2 was frenetic and packed with so many different happenings.  I think this draws us into the confllict and lets us experience events from the characters point of view - I think I read somewhere that this is meant to be a 100 minute war.  If that's the case I *want* this mini to feel fast paced and rushed.

Connor mentions something about being inside Mount Rushmore before.  I have a feeling I should remember where this occured.  I don't.  Anyone able to help me out?

Lex's use of what I presume is Rao the Sun God's body, to turn out yellow sun to a red one, thereby decimatin the Kryptonian space army, is an intriguing proposition.  I am curious as to how the Kryptonians will get out of this.  My guess is the JLA, GL Corps or similar turns up to save some of them, or there's a glitch adn the sun reverts back to yellow pronto.

GA preview
OK, so Cry for Justice was absolute crap.  What has followed on from that has also been a bit rubbihs, so far as I can tell.  But this looks to be about a hooded, tunic-ed Ollie prowling the woods at night, fighting bad guys.  This is right up my street.  So this will be put on standing order.  And, I love Ollie.  That scene where he shoots through the guy's septum ring and takes off the end of his nose?  To use a sportslike Americanism, that was brutal.  It was probably violence for violence sake, but, I like gore.

What isn't up my street is the woman as potential rape victim trope.  Enough already!  Can we really only be imagined in relation to sex and sexual violence?

1 comment:

Sea-of-Green said...

>>Can we really only be imagined in relation to sex and sexual violence?<<

Hear, hear! I do like Ollie's apparent return to the Mike Grell/Longbow Hunters-style Ollie. That was always my favorite incarnation of the character. :-)