Wednesday, December 23, 2009

3 sentence reviews

Of comics a week old..I'm giving myself a little bit of a break from blogging as I need to recharge and think of topics for posts (!).  I will be back in about a week.  Meanwhile, happy holidays everyone!


Spoilers ahead for Red Robin #7, Batgirl #5, Green Arrow/Black Canary #27, Action Comics #19, Adventure Comics: Blackest Night # 5.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Red Robin #7
I'm really liking this addition of Tam Fox, she is really very good.  There's a big spider beasty, Alfred and Lucius Fox having a quiet afternoon cup of tea, and then Ra's Al Ghul is killed!  There's something about this title that keeps drawing me back, even though I when I do read it I feel it isn't really an obvious book for me.


Batgirl #5
Laugh out loud comic of the week with some very clever digs at Damian - one made through the choice of art style and one an off panel gag.  There's also a shock ending which contrasted strongly with the humour of the book.  I'm eagerly anticipating the next issue!

Green Arrow/Black Canary #27
This issue is very much focused on Cupid.  She gets her Dark Arrow and we discover more about her past.  The regular artist is far too fixated on giving Dinah an unzipped costume, but other that that, a cracking issue.

Action Comics #19
When you consider how I was debating whether to drop this title a few months back, I think it has really improved in the last few months.  I won't debate the content, if you're not reading it it won't make sense, if you are you don't need my description.  A solid issue.


Adventure Comics: Blackest Night # 5
I am sick and tired of covers paying tribute to the dead Supergirl crisis cover.  It's lazy, boring and reduces the impact of the original.  Having said that I thought the comic was lots of fun - I like books that break the 4th wall and this had plenty of that.

No comments: