Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Couch to 10k - week 3

On Monday I wrote about my decision to fundraise for the Abortion Support Network (ASN), by training to for a 10k run.  The Programme I am using is located here.  For every session I complete I will donate £1 to ASN.  I would also like to ask my readers to sponsor me, perhaps by donating for each session that I complete.

Why am I fundraising for ASN?
They are the only organisation that provide funds for Irish women who require abortions in the UK.  The laws around abortion in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland are very, very restrictive and it is really difficult to get an abortion.  So if women find themselves pregnant and require an abortion the nearest place to go is the UK.  Which means money for travel costs, accommodation and the procedure itself.Without ASN many, many women can't afford to come to the UK - it costs between £400 and £2,000 to travel and pay for the procedure.

ASN is a charity almost entirely funded by the donations of individual supporters, and your donations will go directly to helping a woman in need.

To donate to them you can do so via paypalstanding order, or bank transfer.  Please see the donate page of the ASN website for details on how to do a bank transfer.  If you are a UK taxpayer don't forget to gift aid your donation.

Here is a report on my third week of training.:

Week 3
Session 1 - 45 min. Run 3 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 7 times, 23/07/2013
I came home from work intending to have dinner at 6.30 then go out at about 8pm, while it was still light, and when the temperature had lowered a bit.  Whet actually happened was that the boyfriend came home with chips so I ate them.  They were good.  Then I decided to go out at 7pm, about 45 minutes after I’d finished eating.

Big mistake.  I felt like I was going to throw up for the entire period.  I have never felt so ill.  I got back home and sat down and refused to be touched.  The boyfriend helpfully brought me some water and I drank some of that then went and lay on be, exhausted.

On the plus side, I managed all but 30 seconds of the running.  With a full stomach that’s pretty good.  I felt very tired afterwards.

Session 2 - 34 min. Run 2 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 6 times, 26/07/2013
I still felt tired, 3 days after the last session.  But I did the running, albeit very slowly and grumpily.  This session was the one where I thought I need to get sponsorship for this or I’m never going to do it.

I saw a little white and brown piebald mouse.  It must be an escaped pet because I can’t believe wild mice would survive for long with that colour coat.  It was moving in an odd way, it didn’t look injured, but was waddling.  Perhaps it was pregnant.  It was right in my path and not moving so I assumed it was dead.  When it moved I let out a yell and stopped to watch it for a minute or so.  It’s really cool to see all this wildlife.

Session 3 - 40 min. Run 3 minutes. Walk 2 minutes. Do this 6 times, 28/07/2013
I was dreading this session.  It was so hard to do the first session of week 3, and this was the same thing.  Add to the fact I’m still tired and I had a slight hangover, I was really apprehensive.

However, I did mange to do it all.  I’m learning my way around the woodland where I run and understanding how the different parts link up.  In the first week I of running I was maintaining a reasonable sense of direction, but I appeared to have lost hat today.  Although I discovered how separate parts lined up, I couldn’t work out what direction the road was in and when I came out on the road I had to ask some walkers where to go.  I’m hopeless.

I saw a lot of butterflies.  Probably because I was out mid morning and not early evening.  No dogs tried to chase me this time, which was nice.  A rather enthusiastic puppy was very interested me in one session in week two.  Eek.  I am a little scared of dogs.

I have no idea how I’m going to manage to do this whole programme because I feel shattered.  Knowing that I’m raising money for ASN will keep me focused and will provide the motivation for me to get out there and complete it.

Total money raised: £9

No comments: