Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Ian Sattler is a prat

"It’s so hard for me to be on the other side because it’s not our intention. There is a reason behind it all. We don’t see it that way and strive very hard to have a diverse DCU. I mean, we have green, pink and blue characters. We have the Great Ten out there and I have counter statistics, but I won’t get into that. It’s not how we perceived it. We get the same thing about how we treat our female characters."

(emphasis mine)

I would use a stronger word than prat but I don't want to fill up people's blogrolls with rude words.

I'm not going to even bother explaining why that's such a stupid thing to say.  (Besides DCWomenKickingAss has already doen it rather well).  This is the kind of shit that makes comics seem insular and not for the everyday person.  These ridiculous arguments are the reasons I started up New Readers.., to prove that there is good imaginative, progressive, quality comics out there.  And I'm still having difficulty finding decent comics with non white characters, (but that's a more a reflection on my reading tastes than on the state of comics today).

Anyway, Ian Sattler. you are a prat of the highest order.

5 comments:

SallyP said...

This isn't the first idiotic thing that he's said. I don't know if he really is a putz, or if he just doesn't think things through before opening his mouth.

Saranga said...

surely that amounts to the same thing?

notintheface said...

He actually said that? Are you friggin' kidding me?

It reminds me of my post last month about the debut of Tyroc, the first black Legionnaire. There was a similar piece of dialogue from Superboy explaining how the Legion wasn't racist, except unlike Sattler, Superboy was actually pointing to blue and green-skinned Legion members. It's even more cringe-worthy to hear a real life person use it 36 years later.


http://stars-and-garters.blogspot.com/2010/05/blog-post.html

Saranga said...

Yes, yes he did. Nevermore999 has details in her con report:
http://nevermore999.livejournal.com/111736.html

notintheface said...

I found and posted the Tyroc Legion scan I was referring to yesterday:


http://stars-and-garters.blogspot.com/2010/06/blog-post.html