Tuesday, January 06, 2015

Pull list suggestions

So, from Sunday's request for new comics to read I got a lot of suggestions. Here they are with my decisions based on looking them up on the internet:

The Wicked and the Divine (Image)
From the blurb: Every ninety years, twelve gods incarnate as humans. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are dead. The team behind critically thermonuclear floor-fillers Young Avengers and PHONOGRAM reunite to start a new ongoing superhero fantasy. Welcome to THE WICKED + THE DIVINE, where gods are the ultimate pop stars. But remember: just because you’re immortal, doesn’t mean you’re going to live forever.
Creators: Kieron GillenJamie McKelvieMatt Wilson

Hmm. I like the idea, a bit, but from their twitter feeds I get the impression that Gillen and McKelvie think they are both too clever by half, which puts me off reading their work.  It depends on how myffic it gets.  I could check this out on comixology.

Little Nemo (IDW publishing)
The blurb: An all-new, all-ages series full of magic and whimsy from award-winning creators Eric Shanower (Adventures in Oz) and Gabriel Rodriguez (Locke & Key)! Spinning out of Winsor McKay's brilliant early 20th century strip, Little Nemo in Slumberland sees King Morpheus' daughter, in the Royal Palace of Slumberland, select her next-playmate: Nemo! Only Nemo has no interest in being anyone's playmate, dream or no dream!

Now that sounds interesting.  I shall check it out comixology.

Grindhouse (Dark Horse)

The blurb: Grindhouse is back from the dead, and it’s meaner, badder, and dirtier than ever! In the first of four new exploitation opuses, Scalped’s R. M. GuĂ©ra joins series writer Alex de Campi for “Slay Ride,” a brutal holiday tale of revenge and supernatural terror in the driven snow!
Er probably also not for me.  I'm not interested in exploitation stories or brutal or violent stories.

Corto Maltese (IDW)
Long before the term “graphic novel” entered the popular lexicon, the Italian cartoonist Hugo Pratt pioneered the long-form “drawn literature” story in 1967 when he introduced Corto Maltese in the epic adventure “The Ballad of the Salty Sea.”
Pratt set the standard for all adult adventure comics in Europe, and by the mid-1970s Corto was the continent’s most popular series and Pratt the world’s leading graphic novelist. “He is one of the true masters of comic art,” says Frank Miller.
Pratt’s books remain best sellers in Europe and are published in a dozen languages yet until now, Corto Maltese has been poorly represented in English.
This is probably a great story and really well told and really worthy to be in the comics hall of fame, but I'm not interested in 1960s adventure stories where the lead is a bloke.

Rare Bit Friends
I found this info: http://www.rickveitch.com/2010/09/13/new-rare-bit-fiends-5.  It doesn't appeal to me.

The Itty Bitty books (Dark Horse) and Tiny Titans (DC)
These books are good at what they do but I'm happy reading them for reviewing purposes and then to pass onto my friend's kids but I'm not interested in reading them for my entertainment.  I do like Art Baltazar's Superman Family Adventures a lot though.

Bulletproof Coffin (Image comics)
The blurb:
Relive the Golden Age of comics! The Legendary Kane and Hine return to their greatest creations! SEE! Coffin Fly Vs. Zombie Nam Vets! The Shield of Justice walks the Dead Beat! The Unforgiving Eye sees all, forgives nothing! Red Wraith: He's red! He's dead! Ramona: Buxom, Beautiful and Bound! Big 2 Publishing, eat your heart out!

Nothing about this interests me.  I don't care for the Golden Age of comics.  Mention of a zombie makes me think they are trying too hard be funny or cool.  I have no interest in crime stories.  The Unforgiving Eye and Red Wraith just sound dull.  Ramona sounds like a postmodern crap ironic take on female empowerment.

New 52 Secret Six (DC)
Now I loved the pre 52 Secret Six but this new version has different characters, they've been New 52-ified and I don't like that so this is a miss for me.

Red Sonja (DC)
I *might* pick this up.  I like some of Simone's stuff but she can be hit and miss, and I'm not sure if I have anything invested in the Sonja character.

Ms Marvel (Marvel)
I already pick this up sporadically.

Silver Surfer (Marvel)
I have no interest in Marvel's space stuff and I'm thinking of getting a Marvel Unlimited subscription so I wll be able to read stuff online 6 months after it comes out, which makes better financial sense for me.


Revival (Image)
I tried this till about issue 18 but got bored.

Morning Glories (Image)
Got the first trade of this, loved the storytelling, hated the art.

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (Marvel)

I'm sorry, I can't bring myself to read comedy mammal based characters.  I hate G'Nort and I wasn't impressed by Ch'P the Green Lantern. 

Loki: Agent of Asgard (Marvel)
I'll probably check this out when I get my Marvel Unlimited subscription.

All new Hawkeye by Lemire (Marvel)
I like Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye a lot, but I don't care about the character beyond that series.  If Lemire keeps explore Clint's new Deafness, and if he does it right, I might well buy it.

Ant-Man (Marvel)
I'll probably check this out with the Marvel Unlimited subscription.

Gotham Academy (DC)
I tried this.  It doesn't have enough superheroes in it for me.  Maybe I'll come back to it in a few months.  I like Gotham books, far more than I like Batman books, but I need to have superheroes or the cops dealing with villainous stunts in the foreground.  Issue 1 didn't do it for me.

Astro City
Now this I am tempted by.  I also want to read Top 10 again.

Captain Marvel (Marvel)
I really liked the first trade but ultimately I don't like Carol enough to continue with it.

Legendary Star-Lord (Marvel)
Now this I will check out via Marvel Unlimited.  This is because of the GotG film you understand.

Lazarus (Image)
Ooh it's by Greg Rucka.  That is worth checking out.

Velvet (Image)
Oh gods it's a spy thriller.  So not for me.

I also want to read Future's End (yes I know, I'm nuts), Injustice and I have a whole host of comics on my comixology account that I want to catch up on, most of which I reviewed (briefly) on my other blog New readers... start here! last September.  And Sex Criminals needs to go back on there. And Bitch Planet needs to be made a regular too.

If you've got any more ideas send them my way!

1 comment:

SallyP said...

So glad that you are a Corto Maltese fan! I love Pratt's books!

Have you ever tried the Lt. Blueberry books by Charlier and Giraud (aka Moebius) The art naturally is absolutely mind-boggling, and its a helluva story as well.