Thursday, June 21, 2012

Summer Solstice/Litha

(edited and re-posted to add in picture)
Today, the 21st of June, is the longest day of the year.   Where I live, the sun rises at about 4.31am and will set at about 21.22pm.  The Greenwich mean time website states that the solstice starts on the 20th June at 11.09pm, which has led to many people saying saying the Solstice is on Wednesday, but given the adjustment for British Summer time, the Solstice really starts at 12.09am on the Thursday (although I will admit I'm not quite sure what that means).  Not that it really matters when people celebrate.  I'm just pernickity.

Another name for the Solstice is Litha.  Isn't that a gorgeous word?  It's rich, full.  It rolls off the tongue.  It's thick with possibilities.  It's a good word.  I like it.

So, the longest day of the year?  Well Wednesday and Tuesday gave us beautiful, sunny weather.  the forecast for Thursday is to rain, from 9am to 11pm.  Oh well.  The Solstice is the crown of summer.  The daylight is strongest (metaphorically anyway) and we get the most light (when it's not cloudy).  As seems to be the way this year, I haven't had much time to prepare.  I made a moussaka Tuesday evening which went a bit wrong, but ended up tasted fine, and I have far too much veg in the fridge.  I went a bit overboard with the shopping on Tuesday.

Nevertheless, we will probably have leftover moussaka, with extra veg, a glass of wine or two, and I hope to be able to make honey biscuits.  Honey is always a good celebratory food.

I hope to be able to upload a picture of my decorations on Wednesday evening.  They've turned out rather nice this year. Here's a picture of the decorations.  Arty shot courtesy of my boyfriend:



For those of you in the Southern hemisphere, happy Yule, and rejoice that the days are getting longer.
For those of you in the Northern hemisphere, happy Litha and don't fret about the days getting shorter.  We've got heat and the fruits of summer to look forward to!

Merry Litha everyone. Have a great day.  :) 

No comments: