Wednesday, August 05, 2020

Supernatural Season 6 episodes 7 - 9

Episode 7 - Family Matters
I wasn't going to watch this because the blurb indicated it was a Grandpa Samuel heavy ep.  When I flicked ep 8 the catchup scenes showed the reveal of Soulless, so back I went to Family Matters.
This ep is worth it for the reveal of Soulless, and for the reveal of Crowley being the boss of Grandpa Samuel.  And therefore the boss of the boys.

I still do not care for the alphas (I'm banging the same drum in every write up aren't I, how dull), but I suppose I should note that this is the ep where the bros find out that Samuel is looking for the location of purgatory, as it turns out, on behalf of Crowley.  And Sam tells Grandpa Samuel that Dean has buggered off.  Sam is lying.

Cas is being an utter dick in this season.  I'm remembering that he is in league with Crowley and it's just a  really really dire plot.

Episode 8 - All Dogs Go To Heaven
A bro-centric episode, hoorah, with more frigging alpha bullshit, booo.
Skinwalkers disguised as dogs are infiltrating family homes in order to turn the families when the time is right.
Notable things (thing?) is that Sam acknowledges how being Soulless means he doesn't care about anything, but that he would like to try to be the old Sam again, with Dean's help.

I feel like these recaps are getting briefer and briefer as I care less for the episodes.  Maybe at the end of this season I'll write a list of episodes that are worth rewatching.

Episode 9 - Clap your hands if you believe
This one is excellent!  Great comedy from the brothers and an appearance from Voyager's Doctor.
The boys discover fairies.  Dean gets abducted, possibly services Oberon, then back home sees a tiny naked fairy and exclaims 'nipples!', before frying it in a microwave.  Sam can't see the fairies (because he hasn't been abducted by them) and acts with far less morals and ethics and ensouled Sam does.
Go to the SPN wiki for this ep to read an example of the dialogue - https://supernatural.fandom.com/wiki/Clap_Your_Hands_If_You_Believe
Honourable mention should also go to the opening credits, a pastiche of The X-Files opening credits.
This is a fun ep and and example of SPN being great.

No comments: