Thursday, April 10, 2008

Interestin' debate about immigrants

going on at the f word. I must say I'm amazed all London mayoral candidates are supoprting the amnesty policy. I think it's a good idea and I agree with the comments of Julie, Anne Onne and Lynne.
Being anti immigrants is frequently framed in racist language and I think people forget or don't know that the percentage of minority ethnic people in Bitain is 7.9% (from the Office of National Statistics Website). To my mind that's not a lot. Of course illegal immigrants won't show up in that figure, but sometimes I think people confuse illegal and legal immigants.
It irks me when people blame immigrants for taking jobs away from the British folks. If you've got a beef that someone is taking a lower wage than you'd be prepared to work for, well that's just market forces in operation. Blame capitalism. Look at the bigger picture.

No comments: